Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Can See It Now

Sunday night, my eardrum ruptured in my left ear. My right eardrum ruptured in January. I can't hear very well. I don't even know how many times my eardrums have ruptured. I've got to go see my ENT doctor again. With all the rupturing and then growth of scar tissue as they heal, my hearing has diminished greatly over the years. I anticipate, as did my primary doc, that I will probably have to have hearing aids someday. That blows.

John has trouble hearing, too. His difficulty comes when there is background noise. So, he can never hear at home, unless the kids are asleep! Yesterday we went for a quickie. That is, we had an hour long date before he had to head to work. We settle the kids and inform them we're leaving for an hour. We get in the car. "Where do you want to go?" John asks. "I don't know", I say. (This is very typical.) So, he starts driving. John: You choose, this was your idea. Me: No, you choose. (Do you see a pattern here?) So finally I choose Gandolfo's. They have grubbin' sandwiches. But, then across the street I see BK. I LOVE their fries. So then...Me: Maybe BK instead, I love their fries. John: Okay. Me: No, nevermind, you want to go to Gandolfo's. John: It doesn't matter. Just choose! We go to BK.

There we are eating, and because of my hearing, I can swear that I'm yelling. Am I yelling? No, John says. But how would he know? He can't hear either...there's background noise! I mean, we are both hearing impaired...maybe we're yelling so we can hear one another, but we THINK we're using normal voices. This is highly possible! *gasp* I look around to see if anyone is staring. No one is. Pheww...

But, I can just see us in the future. Two little old people yelling at each other. John says that we'll just learn sign language. *sigh* The joys of getting older. I am not happy about it. The hearing, the gray hair, being uncool and unhip. I mean, it really stinks. We also discussed John's hair. He's got two, um, "hair holes" in front (this is what the kids call them), as well as one in the back of his head. But, really he still has plenty of hair. I wondered and said: Do you think you'll lose more hair? Apparently, you can kind-of guess based on the mother's father. John thinks he won't lose much more hair. Well, that's good. Hair is nice.

We've also discussed how old we'll be when Lincoln leaves the house (if he's our last child and if he's out by 19--we can only hope). We'll be 55. That doesn't seem TOO bad. Does it? Because I had children when John and I married, we've NEVER BEEN ALONE! So, our alone time will be when we're older. I just hope we still have UMPH!

We'd like to travel. I can see us yelling at each other while we're driving in our RV. Me: Turn here! John: What? Me: Turn here!! John: Right or left?! Me: You missed the turn!!!! Hee hee! It'll be fun.I'm so glad I'll grow old with him, even if it means a lot of yelling.

Cynthia

4 comments:

  1. Oh Cynthia you make me laugh so hard. I Love your blog your so much fun. I can't wait until we can get together some more and just have lots of fun together. It's great to see that you and John take time for each other it's so vital and so important. I miss that! Steven and I don't have what you and John have. Congrats on a Job Well Done. I am so very Happy for you Both. Love ya lots. Miss Ya Tons. It's a blast when we get together lets do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean to laugh about your ear drums though that would hurt like crazy. I have been there to many times. I almost lost my hearing in my right ear when I was 7. I still have a hard time hearing out of it. I will probably be there right along with you. Steven needs hearing aids. Getting older makes me want to be young again. I don't want to grow old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny. Gary and I ARE the Old people yelling at each other and people DO look at us funny.( Just ask Marissa)Oh well! My my mom was deaf in one ear until she got it fixed and she always slept on her good ear. Needless to say you could do anything once she went to sleep, she didn't hear a thing. (I mean she wouldn't have heard a thing if I had given her something to hear)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! Oh...what if arthritis sets in...then you can't use sign language. lol I swear that I am losing my hearing, too. I'm constantly asking David to repeat what he said...then he just says that last two words of a whole shpeel that he said. ARG! lol And I know how you feel about alone time. I got pregnant right after we got married...had horrible morning sickness (hurray hurray...not)and now that we live way far away from any family we hardly go on any dates. (sob sob) Oh...and I'll be 55, too, by the time Adin moves out...hopefully. lol Then maybe we can all go on old people cruises together and yell at each other since we will all be hard of hearing. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete