Monday, February 15, 2010

Step Two

Another installment on the Twelve Step Program I'm involved in through my church:

Step Two: HOPE
Key Principle: Come to believe that the power of God can restore you to complete spiritual health.

"If we turn to the Lord, there will be no habit, no addiction, no rebellion, no transgression, no offense exempted from the promise of complete forgiveness."--Boyd K. Packer

Step one was fairly easy for me. I basically came to a point where I knew that the direction my life was headed was not a good one. I contemplated going to the meetings for probably a month. When I finally did go, I knew it was where I was supposed to be.

This second step is a tough one. So often, I feel like the tender mercies of the Lord are reserved for others, but for me? No way! I'm not rigtheous enough or good enough, etc. But, the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all. I know this, but maybe don't FEEL it right now. I have shut the Lord out of my life, and feel like I need to get my life in order before I can approach him again. Just typing that seems so silly. It doesn't make sense.

For so long, I have tried to overcome my weaknesses by myself, with sheer willpower. I know I need to replace that trust in myself (which clearly hasn't worked) with faith in the love and power of Jesus Christ.

This step is the first to have action steps. They are to pray and to read and ponder the scripturs. It's about simply becoming willing to practice believing in the love and mercy of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and the accessibility and blessing of the Holy Ghost. It is to watch for evidence of Their love.

A scripture that was shared last week has really helped me. It is 2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things become new." I know that scripture is true and it says ANY man (or woman). That includes me! I have a small hope right now, but that's all that is needed, just a tiny bit. "If ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words" (Alma 32:27).

Now, if you look closely (or sometimes not too closesly), you can see dust in my house. I think about a particle of dust. It's pretty small! So, right now, with my faith and hope, that are the size of a particle of dust sitting right there on my blinds, if that is enough...I know I can do this! Let that desire work in me means that I hang on to my particle and then DO THE WORK, even if I'm not feeling it. Pray, even if I don't want to. Read the scriptures, even if I don't always understand. It's about taking the steps, little by little.

As far as my addiction to food goes, I've just tried to be AWARE. I'm not on a program or anything. I am asking myself if I'm really hungry. If I'm bored (which frankly seems like it'd be impossible in our house), then I play the piano, or organize a shelf. If I'm upset, I write my feelings down in my journal. If I'm tired, and it's feasible, I take a nap, or at least lie down and rest. I have a big problem with eating at night. So, I try to replace that habit with taking a bubble bath, or writing, or reading scriptures, or simply going to bed. It's about not sleepwalking anymore. I feel like I've been in a trance, just going through the motions of my life. And now, I'm finally waking up. It's good to be awake! "Awake and arouse your faculties." I think I may write a list of alternatives to eating and keep it posted on the fridge. There is nothing wrong with eating. It is when eating is "used" when you're not really hungry.

Cynthia

2 comments:

  1. I have read that when you feel like you are hungry, drink a large glass of water then wait ten minutes. Repeat once more and if you remain hungry after twenty minutes and two large glasses of water, then eat a healthy filling meal, not a snack. Most of the time we are thirsty not hungry and we are usually dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Cynthia, I am learning as you are teaching me through your learning of this class. I hope that makes sense. I am an emotional eater have been all my life. Losing my dad when I was 12 was a very hard thing for me. Then losing my other dad when I was 16 was even harder. Then finding out my mom had cancer was hard to deal with and not being happy with other things in my life. I have learned the wrong way to stuff my feelings deep down inside with food. Now I am paying the price for doing that. I want so much to run a marathon that is my goal, but I know and believe that I must make my self happy 1st and other good things will follow. I don't know if I have talked to you about Michael McLean's Mission to be happy or not, but his posts make my daily life much more bearable. If you want you can check out his blog at www.Missiontobehappy.com It's really good. Thanks to you and him I think I just might make those 12 steps along with you. Thanks for sharing. I am so thankful I have someone I can talk to that understands. I am dertermined to win my battle over food and addictions that I have that I know are not good for me. Thanks for helping me on my own journey to be happy. Your Awesome! Love Ya Lots

    ReplyDelete