Monday, April 26, 2010

Dinner-5th Installment

NOT YOUR BORING OL' POTATO SOUP

I love this recipe. You can cook it in a crock pot or not. I don't. It takes about 1 hour to prepare. This makes ALOT of soup...so cut recipe in half if you have a smaller family.

10 c. water
12 potatoes peeled and cubed
8 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 stick of butter
1 c. diced celery
1 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. dehydrated onions (you can use fresh onion, I like dehydrated because my kids never notice them, they are really small and seem to disappear)
4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 c. milk
8 oz of sharp cheddar, shredded
1 pound frozen chopped broccoli
1 pound frozen chopped baby spinach
Combine all ingredients except the milk and cheese. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes and broccoli are tender (about 20 minutes or so).
Add cheese and milk. Heat through until cheese is melted, maybe another 5 minutes.

If you do this in the crockpot, cook all ingredients except milk and cheese for 7-8 hours on high. Then stir in milk and cheese. Heat thoroughly, until cheese melts.

I served this in bread bowls. My kids (the younger ones) think it's pretty fun to eat out of a bread bowl and so they seem to eat more. : ) ****4 stars

So far, can you tell I like one dish meals?? So much easier... and I NEED easy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds very yummy to me! I need to try it. Just thinking about it makes me hungry and who does not just love bread bowls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep these recipe ideas coming! ;) Thanks! This one looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Growing up in a large family of nine, we ate a lot of soup. It's a "quick" cheap meal that goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a quick dinner last night and though of you. Perhaps I will do a post in your honor :)

    ReplyDelete