Saturday, May 1, 2010

Goodbye Facebook! (For now)


I have decided to take a break from Facebook. It was wasting far too much of my time and I also felt like I was becoming narcissistic. Having studied psychology and reading many "self-help" books, I tend to analyze and maybe, more accurately, over-analyze myself. (Other problems cropped up, too, that I won't get into here.)

John advised me to keep my Facebook account but just not go on there very much. Hello? I do not have the self-discipline for that, and I openly admit it. I have been going on John's account so that I could still play Word Challenge. But as for getting on and reading my friends' posts, making my own, and commenting..those days are gone, for now.

Please do not think that I consider YOU narcissistic if you use Facebook. I don't. The analyzing extends to myself only. I would find myself posting something (often trying to be funny or clever) and then going back frequently throughout my day to see what my friends would comment. Uggg!!! AND, I would also read some of my friends' posts and, if I disagreed or found the post controversial, would be annoyed. Sometimes I would even post a comment and, more often than not, would get myself into some trouble.

Ho hum. Ultimately, I decided to disable my account. It was hard at first, but I'm really glad I did. I don't get on the computer everyday like I did and I am much more productive with my time. But, if you would still like to send me a message, I am on my husband's account. He changed his name to "John Cynthia Watkins."

So, Goodbye Facebook. Maybe we can be friends again someday...

4 comments:

  1. I find myself in your same situation. You know how I feel, we have discussed this. I have NO discipline. I tell myself to not get on, on a daily basis and then I do, etc. etc. SO all I have to say is "way to go Cynthia!" I'm proud of you. Now if only I coud do the same thing. I'm highly considering it. Love the cartoon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cartoon. I'm not addicted to Facebook, but I am to our family website and family blogs. I check them every day even when I should be doing something else. Thanks for the advice, but I just can't give up reading family blogs. I'm doomed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you cynthia.. I'm addicted to facebook, though sometimes don't want to admit it. I've started cutting down my friends list. I'm hoping that way i'll have much more quality of friends instead of quantity of friends. Plus i'm tired of going threw 8 or 9 pages of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know ... I actually noticed you were gone and wondered what had happened. I'll keep in touch vis your blog. :) I'm glad you were on facebook for awhile so we could become friends again.

    ReplyDelete