Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day and Dinner



In honor of Earth Day, I will confess my "ecological sins."

1. I use a wad of toilet paper to wipe my behind. Sorry, Sheryl Crow, one square just doesn't do the job.
2. I have 6 children. I have contributed to the "diminishing resources" of the earth because of having so many offspring.
3. Said children wore disposable diapers (and Lincoln still does).
4. A couple of us girls use disposable feminine products (uh, pads/tampons). Yes, I have stumbled across some websites that sell reusable, cloth pads. Ewww, gross!
5. I own a gas-guzzling suburban. If more than 5 of us go anywhere, this is what I drive.
6. I have been known to let my suburban, and also my Hyundai, idle while I wait for my kids to be let out of school.
7. I drive 3 blocks to drop off and pick up my youngest 3 from school. I also walk to the library and park that are only 4 blocks away.
8. I leave the porch light on all night to keep the bad people away.
9. I leave the light on in the closet of the kids' bedroom all night to keep the monsters away.
10. I breastfed the 1st 5 children, but I bottle feed Lincoln. I use Playtex nurser bottles with the disposable bottle bags.
11. At least one time per week I forget to put the leftover food away after dinner and it ends up in the garbage.
12. I let Hunter and Micah play in the kitchen sink with the water on for hours...it totally entertains them and they stay busy and out of my hair.
13. We cut down our Christmas tree every year. You can't beat the smell of fresh pine needles.
14. We often go for Sunday drives. No destination. Just driving for fun.
15. When my recycling bin gets too full, I just throw my recyclables in the garbage.
16. I eat "pesticide-laden" produce.
17. I use paper plates most days of the week.
18. I eat animals. Yum.
19. My husband hunts and kills animals.
20. I use chemicals to clean my home.

But, to my credit, I do TRY to be earth conscious.

1. I do recycle. But it all goes in one bin, so it is fairly easy to do. I don't rinse out things first, though.
2. We use those energy efficient light bulbs.
3. I don't litter.


What's For Dinner?

I'm always curious about what people eat for dinner. I have a wonderful niece who cooks gourmet meals for her family. She and some other friends I have, LIKE to cook. I don't. So, what about us simple folk? What do we eat?? Well, for the next week, I will post daily what we had for dinner.

Tonight we had Chicken Fried Rice. Now, don't get excited. Most of this meal came from a box or a bag. I cooked 3 pounds of chicken, added "Chicken Helper" (3 boxes), following those directions. Added 2 bags of frozen stir-fry veggies and then finally, I added 8 scrambled eggs. Voila! Dinner is served. Wynter, Hunter and Micah hated it; John, Mark, Lincoln and I loved it; Savannah didn't have any because she wasn't home. I give it *** 3 stars! It was fairly easy to make and the majority of my family liked it. I consider that a success!!

3 comments:

  1. Love the dinner idea! Your dinner sounded good to me.

    Earth day? Glad we have an earth to live on. We should take care of it but not let it overtake us!! My ecological sins are too many to list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told some friends that you made an ecological sin list. They loved the idea! It is just too freakin' awesome of a way to celebrate Earth day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like my kind of dinner.. thats why i made a crock pot dinner last night. Though usually we just grill some chicken and make instant mash potato's with some corn or go to subway or Dan and i's favorite cafe rio. My inlaws recycle everything they can. and they will rinse out the cans and milk juggs even break things down. Sometimes when they go on a trip.. I'll just throw it in the recycle bin without rinsing it out or throw it int he regular garbage if the recycle one is too full.

    ReplyDelete