Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Am Not Afraid to Admit It...


I am an imperfect mother! Yahoo!!! I am celebrating. I swear, if I read another book, editorial, or article about what I am doing wrong as a mother, I think I'll puke. So, this Mother's Day, I will not hang my head in shame as speakers glorify their mothers. I am not perfect, but I am good enough.

I admit that I let my kids eat fast food! Even Lincoln has had some fries and bits of hamburger. Yum.

I admit that I scream at my kids from time to time. Sometimes they REALLY IRRITATE ME.

I admit that I have nursed a baby in a moving vehicle. If I didn't, we'd take 10 hours to make a 3 hour trip.

I admit that I pull my kids out of school, excuse the absence, and have a day of fun on occassion.

I admit that our house is rated G, but there are days that I swear like a sailor and it moves to PG-13.

I admit that we haven't been having FHE. I plan on getting back to it, eventually.

I admit that I don't force my kids to go to church (as teens). I want them to go, I hope they will go, but they don't have to go.

I admit that I let my kids climb on the Suburban like it's a jungle gym.

I admit that I have days that I don't get Lincoln or Micah out of their pjs.

I admit that I have days when I'm scary and the kids know that they shouldn't touch me with a ten-foot pole.

I admit that I expect my kids to pay for their own college education. Thankfully, I heard Dave Ramsey talk about this on his show yesterday and he agrees with me (or I agree with him). I payed for my education, they can too.

I admit that I haven't given either of my teens a cell phone. Mark MIGHT get one when he is 16. I'm not sure yet.

I admit that I sometimes fantasize about packing up my things and driving away, never to return.

I admit that sometimes being a mother blows.

Shocked? Or maybe you're like me and now you feel better to know that you're not the only one. Either way, I feel much better having gotten that off my chest. Thankfully there are those really great days that remind me that I'm doing alright. I love those days.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. So weird -- I could have written this myself. Well, except for the part about climbing on the Suburban. I do make my 13 y.o. ride in the cargo area of our Suburban when we're overloaded, though.
    Your brutal honesty is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I feel the same way. Do the same things and I do not think you weird or crazy. I think that your a wonderful mother. Thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As adults we have selective memories. We remember the good things about our moms when we are older, not the negative. That is a good thing!! Your children, when older, will praise you as a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know, some of the things that you think make you a bad mom are some of the things that your children will treasure about you being a good mom. A real mom prepares their children for the realities of life by being REAL. A fake perky mom who makes everything bad go away so that little johnny never has to experience anything scary or bad cripples their child so that survival in the real world becomes next to impossible. Sounds like you are a real mom. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record....I don't think I'm a bad mom. I'm just not perfect, or anywhere near and I'm totally fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on! It's comforting to know that those yucky days kind of fade away, and yet are never really forgotten (at least in my own mind). Believe me, after 52 years of being part of my own family, I'm just thankful our children still love me in spite of my many imperfections and "bad days." Thanks for being you! We're so glad your part of our family!!!! Bonnie reminds me quite often that if I were perfect I would have been translated. I'm just glad to still have the opportunity of learning from my mistakes. Love ya bunches and happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete