Monday, July 26, 2010

Ahhh...Children

I have been very busy lately. I am preparing for a much needed yard sale and have set the date for August 7th. Yikes! I hope I'm ready. Seriously, with the kids, the house, preparing meals, a bout with the stomach flu for 5 of the 6 children, Pioneer Day festivities, dropping off/picking up the big kids from various activities, working on the yard, and all the other tasks that mothers do, I am finding it hard to get all of this yard sale preparation done. I am now down to less than 2 weeks to get ready and I still have part of the kitchen, the front room, the entire basement, AND the garage to go through. And, you know what? I haven't even procrastinated. I set myself a 4 week schedule (after a couple months of procrastination), but it has been extremely difficult to stick with it! I'm done with the tv room, the mudroom, the boys' room, and part of the kitchen. Just thinking about it makes me exhausted!

Which brings me to my topic...I have been so busy, that I've tried to sneak in some time to REST. Doesn't seem so difficult, does it? Well, guess again. My kids will be busy doing X, Y, or Z, completely oblivious to me and the stuff I'm trying to do, UNTIL I sit down, put my feet up and look comfortable. Then wham-o, all of the sudden they need something from me!

And, they also seem to NOT NOTICE my existence until I'm on the phone. Then ALL of them need something that only I can provide (in their opinion). And forget about going to the bathroom in peace. I get typically 2-6 knocks on the door everytime. Pretty soon I'll be like Pavlov's dogs and may involuntarily pee when I hear knocking.

So, I have deduced that the best way to get my children's attention is to A) get comfortable, B) get on the phone or C) go to the bathroom.

2 comments:

  1. So true! And whenever we try to have a conversation together, just the two of us the same thing happens. There must be a signal somewhere around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is SO true. The phone rings, and suddenly the kids NEED my attention. All of them. All at once. It's like a magnet.

    ReplyDelete