Friday, June 4, 2010

Moments Like These...

In our family, we talk about "poopy cookies". We use this phrase when referring to a movie that "just has one little bad part in it", or a book that needs "just one chapter to be skipped." The book may be great or the movie a must-see, but what about the "crap" that is in them? They are poopy cookies. If I were to give you the yummiest chocolate chip cookie and there was one piece of cat poop (or any other variety of poop) in it, would you eat it? I wouldn't!

I admit that although I would absolutely NOT eat a poopy cookie, I have seen those kinds of movies and read those kinds of books. Ho-hum, just another thing I need to work on.

But, my point for bringing this up, is to relate the poopy cookie to my life. A lot of times my life is wonderful with just spots of poop (trials, tribulations---you know, the hard stuff). But, unfortunately it can be more like a poop cookie with one sweet and yummy spot. So, when something really great happens, I want to remember it to help me get through the rough spots.

Life has been tough lately. We have more bills than we have money, John has had no luck in finding another job, the water heater is leaking, and so is one spot down in the basement, (I could go on, but enough about the crap). But then, a really wonderful moment occurred last week that I want to remember.

It was Saturday night (May 29th). The day had been fairly busy with all of us buzzing about doing chores, the kids then playing outside and John working on Mark's room. I was in the kitchen, washing the big dishes by hand. I had just made banana bread and it was baking in the oven. There I was, standing at the sink. I could see out into the backyard. At that moment, I could smell the banana bread baking, I could see Wynter in the backyard having a tug-o-war with Pluto over her shoe, I could hear Savannah playing with Lincoln and hear his shrieks of delight. I could hear Micah and John working and talking in the garage (soon to be Mark's room), Mark was playing on the computer and Hunter was "thinking" in the front room. In this moment, I felt such happiness and joy. We were all home, just doing this or that, but I felt such gratefulness in that moment. I was overwhelmed with the love I have for my family.

If that wasn't enough, a few minutes later Mark came into the kitchen. He said (I'm paraphrasing), "Mom, I was on the computer and I could hear you doing the dishes, I could smell the banana bread, I could hear Dad working on my room, and I just felt so happy, because I knew I was home." And then it happened. I cried. I hugged him and I hugged all my other kids. It was a good experience. Although, they all thought I had lost it, and might need to be admitted to the psych ward.

I needed this night, this moment. I've been hanging on to it, to help me get through the rough stuff this week. That night was definitely a huge chocolate chip in my crap cookie. But, the more I think of that night and the love I have for my kids and husband, the more I'm thinking that life is pretty sweet. It has so much to do with my attitude and having the right perspective on things.

John has had the opportunity to work some overtime at Klune, and it has helped. Somehow we're getting by. I can acknowledge that the Lord has blessed us. I am thankful for that. I've been cooking from scratch a lot lately, and have cut way back on my diet Coke consumption. We've been paying our tithing for 5 weeks now, and I feel we have been blessed for that.

I am so thankful for my knowledge of the plan of salvation. I know my purpose and why we are here. Sometimes life makes me forget. (Or, more accurately, I choose to "forget" because I'm busy with life). I can see little moments of inspiration that I've had over the past couple of weeks that have brought me back to having that eternal perspective that we all need to endure well.

I know that life won't be easy, but that this is all worth it. It's all about perspective, and counting blessings. I will count some of my blessings now...

1. My husband. He is a hard worker. He has a job that is not in his field and that he doesn't particularly enjoy, but he works hard and does provide for us. He's positive and optimistic. He is fun to be around and he's my best friend.

2. My kids. My husband and kids are all I get to take with me after this life. I love them all so much. This is what life is about. Everything I do, I do it for them.

3. "The moment" I had Saturday night.

4. My calling as primary teacher. Teaching those little children, teaches me. I love sitting in sharing time and singing songs that re-teach me the basics of the gospel and remind me of what it is all about.

5.Good friends. I'm thankful for my friends who have the same values as I do, and who are uplifting to be around.

I'll stop here. But, I just may try to list a few things I'm thankful for each day, to keep that perspective.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful message. It reminded me of a lesson I just gave in Relief Society "Our Perfect Example, by President Eyring". At the end of the talk Pres. Eyring talked about these types of moments that you just described. I hope you don't mind my adding the quote, " For all of us it may be hard to see in our lives an increasing power to love and to see ourselves becoming more like the Savior, our perfect example. I wish to encourage you. You have evidences that you are moving along the road to becoming more like Jesus. It will come even in the midst of cares and trials. These moments will come more often as you try to do the things you know Jesus would do. Because of His Atonement for you, your childlike obedience will bring a feeling of love of the Savior for you and your love for Him. That is one of the gifts that is promised to His faithful disciples. And this gift can come not only to you alone but also to the loving members of your family. The promise was given in 3 Nephi: " and all they children shall be taught of the Lord: and great shall be the peace of thy children." Thank you for your message, I was touched by the spirit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a sweet post. It's nice to remember to look for the chocolate chips in our poop. :)

    John could always apply out here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, this is such a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing it. You have a wonderful way with words.

    I need to hold on to those perfect moments, too. I think they happen more often than I realize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, thank you for your kind comments. I have such wonderful family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was a good moment. Micah was helping me (more like talking only) but it was fun as he had lots of questions about lots of things. Some pretty deep too...
    I appreciate my wife so much. She is so wonderful, creative, funny, beautiful, and just plain awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your heart-felt post, Cynthia. Darn you for making me cry! lol You are so righht, though -- there are beautiful moments to be found even when the poop is deep.

    ReplyDelete