Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Simplicity


I am currently reading a book entitled, "You Can Never Get Enough Of What You Don't Need: The Quest For Contentment" by Mary Ellen Edmunds. It has been a very thought-provoking and eye-opening experience for me.

Having our yard sale was just one tiny step towards simplifying my life. As I began reading this book, I realized that there are a lot of things and activities that I need to eliminate. I've also been looking up "simplifying" and "minimalism" on the internet and I can see that I am on the brink of a whole lot of change.

For example, both the book and the things I've read on the internet point out that having one of something is enough. Having two or more is luxury. As I think about the things I have 2 or more of, I would have to agree. It really comes down to a paradigm shift. What do I really need? What is really important to me? What things do I do that bring me satisfaction and happiness? Have I done any good today?

I've realized that as I ask my self these questions and others that M.E.E. asks in her book, that I am not living my life in a meaningful way. I have become so bombarded with things, and stuff, and lists of stuff to do, that I don't have time for, or don't get to the things that matter most. It is truly a shame.

So, now that the yard sale is over, I am taking loads of the leftovers to the DI (similar to The Goodwill). I did put one thing up for sale on KSL classifieds that I think I'll be able to sell, but at this point, I'm donating!! I know that there is much more that I can donate. I want the clutter gone! I want to clean less and have more fun with my kids.

I also have realized how much time I waste. I spend way too much time each day on the internet. I check email, I check my family website, I check out my friends' blogs, I balance our checkbook, etc. Now, there is nothing wrong with these things, but I do see the need to set myself a time limit, otherwise I end up looking something up on google and getting sidetracked for a bit and then looking up another thing and getting sidetracked some more. It is so wasteful.

I also realize that I spend a lot of time wishing. I wish I were thinner. So then I spend money on a weight loss magazine in order to get some motivation. But really, all it does is cost me nearly $4, persuade me to buy A,B, or C in order to slim down, and makes me feel bad about myself-that somehow I'm not lovable or good enough in my plus sized clothes. I also wish our money situation would improve IMMEDIATELY, so I distract myself with those things that don't help AT ALL!! Such as...

Maybe I decide I need chocolate because I'm stressed about money (so I spend money buying chocolate). Or I think the latest finance book will solve my troubles (so I end up with my nose in a book). Nothing against reading. I love to read. But really, what I need to be doing is making home cooked meals and homemade snacks, or clipping coupons, or working in our garden, or just enjoying what we already have. I need to be doing a lot more DOING.

It seems like I always believe that there is a quick answer in a book or a magazine somewhere. I'm always searching or writing lists or thinking instead of ACTING. Of course, a lot of help can come from a book-the scriptures. But of course, I don't seem to use that resource as much as I should.

So I am officially beginning my journey of simplifying my life and DOING those things that matter to me. Enough wishing and list making. Enough goal making about how much weight I'll lose by next summer. Each day I will make an effort to simplify by: 1)setting something aside that needs to be donated or 2) giving something to someone I know who might need it more than I or 3) de-junking a drawer or 4) staying unplugged (from tv, internet, the phone, the radio) 5) Being more purposeful and intentional in my choices--doing everything with purpose. Take time and not rush through the day. Stop to enjoy my surroundings.

I will try to record what I do as I chug through this new territory. I will also put quotes on my blog from M.E.E.'s book. She is a great woman and author and I highly recommend this book written by her, as well as several others that she has written.

P.S. Did you notice? I made a list in this blog!! Habits die hard. : )

3 comments:

  1. I absolutly love reading your posts! I can relate to almost everything you say, so your posts are very helpful to me in many ways. Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I was blessed with the special gift you have of knowing just what to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Don't simplify by giving up your blog though, because you help me out every time that I read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS
    I laughed to myself when I read the part about the internet. I don't think I know how many times I checked the family website, family and friends blogs, my email, and facebook. You are right, it is a big waste of time. I think checking once or maybe twice a day is plenty. Maybe I will make that change on..... Monday ;) heeheehee! Thanks again for giving my something to think about.

    ReplyDelete