Thursday, August 19, 2010

What Matters Most?

The Las Vegas Temple--where John and I were sealed for time and all eternity


Today I went visiting teaching with my awesome friend, Stephanie. The thing that I love so much about these monthly visits is that I always learn something from those that I visit.

I was so impressed with the first woman we visited. Although I have visited with her many times before, she said some things that I really needed to hear. I truly believe that some of the questions that can be stewing around in our minds, are answered by those around us. She sets very small and attainable fitness goals. She is a diabetic and has to be very careful about what she eats, but she doesn't let it control her. She's very dedicated to simple exercise, too.

Another thing that was so impressive is that she has made the decision to get on the computer only 1 time per week. She used to spend 1-2 hours per day on the computer and realized that she needed to use some self-discipline and reduce that. ALOT! She gets on every Friday. That's it!

The second woman we visited is an older woman. This month's message was on the importance of staying temple worthy and having a recommend, even if you are unable to attend the temple. She told of a dream she had many years ago after her husband had passed away and she was left to raise 8 children on her own.

She was standing by a river and a boat, like those in Italy that are pushed along with a pole, came by. In it was her husband and two other men. They asked her to come with them, but she needed to get her recommend. She didn't have it with her, so she asked one of her daughters to run up to the house and get it for her. They told her they couldn't wait, and they left her there. She woke up in tears.

Now, you may be thinking that the moral of this dream for her was to always carry her recommend with her. But she felt impressed that she was to always keep her recommend current. We've been counseled to do that very thing by the leaders of our church. John and I are now at a point that we CAN get our recommends renewed. I am planning to make an appointment with the Bishop ASAP and get the ball rolling. I know that attending the temple would truly be a help for John and I at this time. The temple brings such peace and perspective. I love how I can leave the world outside and take time to ponder and pray and reflect on what is truly important.

So, I got to thinking, what matters most? Does how I spend my time truly reflect what is most important to me? Or am I all talk? I've decided to take a true inventory of what I BELIEVE to be most important to me and then compare that with how I spend my time. I feel this huge need to take a close look at my life. I can see that I have been very busy, but busy doing a lot of things that just don't matter.

Because of this, I've set a goal, as my friend has, to only get on the computer 1 time per week. It may be hard at first, but I can see how beneficial it will be for me in the long run.

Second, I've decided to simplify my weight-loss, or rather, fitness goal. I have decided to simply 1) stop eating after dinner and 2) walk every day.

And third, I am going to get my temple recommend renewed.

I have a lot more thinking and examining to do, but this is my start! Have a great week!

1 comment: